What a day…part 1

Less than 24 hours ago, I headed for bed..knowing that there was the possibility of a severe thunderstorm heading our way.  I’ll admit, I’m “storm” complacent.  “Yeah, yeah”, I thought, “whatever.”  Happens all the time–part of living in “‘tornado alley”.  Well, at 1:33am my attitude changed when I bolted out of bed to the sounds of tornado sirens.  Search for the remote.  Turn on the tv.  Blinded by the sudden brightness of the weather radar map.  

The tornado-producing storm was about 4 or 5 miles away as the crow flies and headed for us.  Dang it!  Waiting…waiting…waiting for the husband to say the word.   “Let’s head that way.”  Dang it!   Cameron’s awake already, she’s been up since the first crack of thunder, so down the hall we go to our “shelter”, aka the hall coat closet.   I wake Cory up, and he stumbles to the closet.  It’s the first time we’ve ever used it as that, so we were in for a rude awakening–it’s very small!  Not quite big enough for all of us unless we’re standing.  The dog is banished to the hall to fend for herself–sorry, Lucky!

We listened to the tv for a minute or so with the door opened, we heard “tornado down at 178th and Penn” and then…nothing.   Power out.  No rain outside, no wind.   Very eerie.  We shut the closet door.  Kids whimpering.  Hot and stuffy.  Somebody tooted (okay, it was me).    Kevin prays outloud.  Waiting.   (By the way, we’re standing there in our pj’s, no shoes (big tornado safety no-no), no flashlight, no bicycle helmets on our heads, no cell phone–very unprepared–remember I said I was complacent?)  Then I hear my phone–a text.   News from the outside, someone is trying to reach us!  “Kevin, can I go get it?”  “yes, but hurry.”  I ran down the dark hallway and fumble around till I find it and then grab a flashlight on the way back.   

Thank goodness it’s Justin and Sheena from across town, still with power, listening to the sirens and watching the weather reports.   Thanks, guys, for letting us know when it was safe to come out!  Who knows how long we would have stayed otherwise!?  Scott and Shelly, welcome back to Oklahoma!

Whew!  That was close!  We didn’t know how close until daylight, but it was close!  It took Chatty Ken and Kathy about an hour to process and wind down (still in the dark, with only flashlights) before they were able to stop talking and go to sleep.  Short night, long day…

2 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by Sheena on April 2, 2008 at 9:39 am

    I’m glad we could help! It was pretty scary there for a bit.

  2. Posted by Rodney Holt on April 3, 2008 at 10:52 am

    At least you got in the closet, I didn’t even wake my kids up. You are a step a head of me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: